History of Mt. Salem

Mt. Salem Baptist Church began on July 1, 1890 after the Civil War when a group of people form a church name Cedar Grove Baptist Church in a small place called Pointsville, Virginia. Rev. Matt Robinson was the first minister

In the year of 1900, the church moved to Staunton, Virginia and the church was renamed Colored People's Church and was located on railroad Street. Years later the name was changed to Mt. Salem Baptist Church and the street name changed to Stuart Street. The church address was 709 Stuart Street. In 1907 with Rev. Matt Robinson still serving as pastor, the first cornerstone was laid. Rev. Robinson passed away in 1922.

Then in succession came Rev. Williams, Rev. Patt Toliver, Rev. Edward Wilson, Rev. Harvey Steverson (second term), Rev. Robert L Stuart, Rev. Edward McCary, and Rev. Robert L. Stuary (second term) . The church address changed from 709 to 1015 Stuart Street.

The history continues when Rev. Timothy Green and Rev. William Rowe came to Mt. Salem. Rev. Rowe served thirteen years which was a long successful administration. Mt. Salem grew with such proportion that more room was needed. A new addition which concluded bathrooms, pastor's study, choir room, kitchen and a Sunday School program.

In 1917 Rev. Rowe retired and in that same year Rev. Milton Dandridge became the new pastor and he also was actively involved. The main auditorium was completely renovated, new floors, new lights, new pews and new windows were in the process of being installed before he left church. During his tenure the old parsonage was sold.

In 1972 Rev. Samuel Anderson was installed as the new Pastor.  He was the youngest of all the Pastors before him and did an exceptional job of organizing new singing groups and bringing in new members. He to was very active within the church. Windows were completed, two additional bathrooms were installed in the front of the church, a water cooler, P.A. system and air conditioning was installed and the interior painted. In addition to the that the church purchased a parsonage and the property next to the church parking lot. Rev Anderson resigned in 1987.

Rev. Stanley Douglas pastored from 1987 to 1990, Rev. George Gohanna from 1990 to 1993, and Rev Anthony Ellis from 1993 to 1996. We were without a Pastor for two years but Mt. Salem continued to carry on God's work. Vinyl siding was installed and the exterior painted.

On September 3, 1998 Rev. Floyd Andrew Miles was elected and his installation service was held on March 28, 1999.

Rev. Miles has done an exceptional job in organizing a Youth Department, four new Trustees were elected, three Deacons were ordained, the two front restrooms including the ladies restroom in the back of the church were remodeled and the Pastor's study and parsonage were renovated. Two lots were purchased, the social hall was painted and central air was installed.

He continues to do a tremendous job and also strives to united members of the church to become a family. Among his many accomplishments, the first fellowship picnic was held in Montgomery Hall Park, and he organized a Chapter of the Gospel Music Workshop of America.

During his tenure, Dr. Miles spiritually birth two sons Rev. Ronald Commuel and Rev. Steve Durrette; two daughters Rev. Connie Crawford and Rev. Sheila Wallace in the ministry of preaching God's word.